Posted: January 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm
January presents to us a clean slate—a chance to start anew and refresh our attitudes, goals and lifestyles. Often this arrives with a burst of organizational energy, leaving us ready to take on those New Year’s resolutions with aplomb.
Home office and business organization often takes center stage during this time of the year, and here are a few ways to get those files, old mail and magazines in line this year:
· Use bulletin boards and push pins to capture small ephemera—tickets, postcards, photographs—that might not otherwise have a logical storage place. Pretty it up by covering it with cheerful fabric, placing it in a frame and hang it above your desk from a wide ribbon.
· Install wide spanning shelves above the desk so as to minimize the need for everything to remain on top the desk. Cover these in paint or wallpaper for a stylish twist.
· Corral your children’s artwork into a small, round trash bin and mailing tubes, labeled with their name and the year or semester.
· Swimming in leftover gift baskets from the holidays? Spray paint them and turn into stylish household organizers that fit on top of or below the desk.
· Take an hour to review all old paperwork. Purge what you don’t need, and consider scanning anything you do to store on your computer. Toss the hard copies. Still need tangible copies? Inspire organization by finding a new desk or filing cabinet that’s stylish and practical. Hillsdale Furniture has a couple of options.
Short on space? The Solano Desk is the perfect solution when you need to carve a small office space out of your living room, kitchen, bedroom or den. It’s available in a rich oak or deep cherry finish, and can double as a lamp, accent or display table.
If you have more space, the Wilshire Desk features a blend of cottage styling with country accents to give clinical offices a cozier feel. Opening each drawer is a reflection of old world craftsmanship, complete with tongue and groove drawer bottoms and English dovetail drawer construction made out of solid wood. The finish has been painstakingly applied for maximum durability and charm.